There are a lot of different skills you can develop to be a better Factbeast, here you can find useful resources for that!
- Search for root causes, solve the right problem
- Don’t work alone, challenge each other
- Check your assumptions
- Back of the envelope calculations
- You can practice this everywhere! What will your grocery bill be? The bill in the restaurant? How many piano tuners are there in your city?
- Choose the best way to share your insight
- Little things can matter a lot
Basic math skills
- Significance is significant
- Don’t confuse correlation and causation
- Averages can hide information
- Of course there are many many other tools that you can learn, but the world would be a better place if everybody would be a little bit better at excel
- Already a Guru? Help others by letting them discover the power of pivots
- Still more of a novice? Don’t be afraid, try out stuff and ask the closest Guru to teach you
- Can the outcome be true? Do you come at the same solution in a different way?
- What’s the source of the data? What are the definitions being used?
Data informed decision making
- It’s not about everything, you need just enough information to make the decision
- Use small experiments to find evidence and reduce uncertainty
- Business cases are overrated